Why Chicago Occupational Therapy
Our program fits the unique needs of every child.
Chicago Occupational Therapy provides completely individualized care for every child. The Chicago Occupational Therapy team places a high value on parental collaboration, so clinicians work closely with parents and primary caregivers to create an evidence-based treatment plan that targets individualized goals.
Clinicians also collaborate with other pediatric professionals on a multidisciplinary team of speech-language pathologists, applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapists, and behavior analysts to ensure that every child receives the most comprehensive care possible.
We believe in the value of education and parent collaboration
Chicago Occupational Therapy works with children to build independence in critical age-appropriate skills that are needed to complete daily tasks. This may be addressed by facilitating the child’s motor skills and sensory development.
The team has extensive experience working with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), sensory processing disorder (SPD), motor delays, behavioral challenges, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and more.
Throughout the therapeutic process, the goal is for the parent to become the expert on strategies so that they can promote their child’s progress and independence at home. Parents can carry over their child’s therapeutic success by using provided home programs and strategies.
A range of therapeutic settings, including in-home therapy
Chicago Occupational Therapy offers services in a range of settings including clinic-based therapy, in-home therapy, and in CST Academy.
CST Academy is the practice’s therapeutic preschool-style program that provides additional support for key developmental skills including speech and language, social skills, motor skills, and more.
Gross Motor Skills
- Upper extremity and trunk coordination and strengthening (shoulder, arm, and hand)
- Bilateral coordination such as jumping jacks or hopscotch
- Midline coordination
- Neuro-developmental treatment
Fine Motor Skills
- Hand strengthening and coordination skills required for activities such as cutting with scissors, coloring, and writing, buttoning, using feeding utensils, etc.
- Dressing, bathing, hygiene, showering, and feeding
- Balance and coordination
- Hyper and hypo reactivity to environmental input (sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, and proprioception)
- Feeding therapy to address the “picky eater” or “problem feeder”
Visual Motor Skills
- Handwriting skills
- Hand-eye coordination
- Sleep, leisure, play, education, safety, and more
- Recommendation, training, and use of adaptive equipment
Diagnoses we treat include, but are not limited to:
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and related disorders
- Cerebral Palsy (CP) and other neurological diagnoses
- Delayed coordination
- Developmental disabilities
- Down Syndrome and other genetic diagnoses
- Generalized muscle weakness
- Sensory processing disorder (SPD)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Upper extremity (shoulder, arm and hand) injuries including brachial plexus injuries, fractures, etc.
Our program guarantees success for every child
Chicago Occupational Therapy understands that every child has unique needs, so our clinicians develop customized treatment plans that target a child’s individual goals. The team is also dedicated to providing the highest level of care by always staying up to date with therapeutic techniques.
The practice values having a multidisciplinary team of pediatric specialists (occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, behavior analysts, and ABA therapists), which allows for children to receive the most comprehensive care for multisensory needs.
Consistent parental collaboration also allows children to make great gains in therapy, as home practice reinforces the skills taught during the occupational therapy session. (Open communication is an important component of the therapeutic process!) Some of the key skills that parents and therapists will work on in occupational therapy include fine motor skills, sensory processing (and sensory integration), visual motor skills, and self-care skills.
Innovative Care Plans
Our team of therapists creates personalized care plans that target individual occupational therapy goals and incorporate every child’s unique learning style.
Multiple Therapeutic Settings
Chicago Occupational Therapy provides in-home and clinic-based therapy, as well as services at CST Academy, the practice’s therapeutic preschool-style program.
FREE Information Packet
Contact our office to request free information about Chicago Occupational Therapy including significant details about our program, team members, and more.